In 2004, Bilan Carbone®, a GES diagnostic methodology developed by Jean-Marc Jancovici on behalf of ADEME, was launched.
In 2011, after the success of the methodology (which had quickly become the most used in France) and in a rapidly changing regulatory context (Article 75 of Grenelle II regarding GHG assessments), ADEME decided to tranform the Bilan Carbone® assessment methodology into an organization that would be entirely dedicated to a changing context: the Association Bilan Carbone.
With the expertise and determination of its members and partners, the ABC is dedicated to the transition to a low-carbon society both in France and abroad. The association relies on its own rich expertise to propose appropriate solutions to carbon related issues. To further these solutions, the ABC supports a greenhouse gas management system (SM-GES), which allows organizations to better integrate the notion of carbon accounting into their management approach. The Bilan Carbone® system, which is optimized and distributed by the ABC, is regularly updated to incorporate new standards and be as global as possible.
For an effective energy-climate transition to a low-carbon society, the ABC strives to:
Provide organizations with the right solutions for a successful energy and carbon transition.
To do this, members of the association have access to the following tools, which we have developed:
- The Bilan Carbone® system, is an essential tool to account for emissions and to identify how to leverage reduction actions.
- The Système de Management des GES, or SM-GES® is an unprecedented solution which integrates the management of GHG emissions into an organization’s overall management vision and assists with guiding the actions it undertakes.
Bring together experts and stakeholders in the carbon transition in order to:
- Develop quality, bespoke solutions to meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Promote discussions and exchanges of best practices regarding the accounting and reduction of GHG emissions.
- Give full access to news regarding carbon issues in order to:
- Keep organizations informed about the sector’s methodologies and regulations.
- Help organizations to understand and embrace innovation.
Take international actions to:
- Promote French expertise and innovations related to GHG emission reductions.
- Help harmonize emissions management practices and, by extension, international standards.
The ABC’s missions is to bring together international experts in order to focus them on the same issue: carbon sobriety; this is why the association has partnered with numerous specialized institutions and universities around the world.